Monday, December 8, 2014

Poems...

Write an essay in which you compare your poem with one of the others on the adoption list.

Working Together

by David Whyte

We shape our self

to fit this world

and by the world

are shaped again.

The visible

and the invisible

working together

in common cause,

to produce 

the miraculous.

I am thinking of the way

the intangible air

passed at speed

round a shaped wing

easily

holds our weight.

So may we, in this life

trust

to those elements

we have yet to see

or imagine,

and look for the true

shape of our own self,

by forming it well

to the great 

intangibles about us.



Out Beyond Ideas
by Mewlana Jalaluddin Rumi

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing,
there is a field. I’ll meet you there.

When the soul lies down in that grass,
the world is too full to talk about.
Ideas, language, even the phrase each other
doesn’t make any sense.


     Poems for me are sometimes like love, love is hard to explain without emotion. Poems are so foreign to me because sometimes I am a person who is just to lazy to explain or comprehend what is being expressed. But the poem "Working Together" by David Whyte was one that after really examining it and really trying to get it, it made sense. I actually really like the poem! When it comes to the second poem "Out Beyond Ideas" by Mewlana Halaluddin Rumi, different story. I didn't really feel the connection I did like with the first poem. It might be because I didn't spend as much time as I did for the first poem but still sometimes poems are cool and I get it, but then others they just fly right pass me.


      Both poems have differences but they also have similarities. Some differences they have is that the first poem is longer than the second poem and the first poem is set up differently. The way the stanzas are set up are so different that they sometimes don't show the same tone or emotion. Some similarities the two poems possess is that they both talk about nature and have kind of the same meaning. The poems bring in nature and talk through nature to get there point across. That is why I feel like they have the same meaning, they both are so optimistic in there point that they both seem similar to each other.


    Poetry is such a diverse subject. I feel like poetry is in the eye of the beholder, that I can call any piece of writing that I write, a poem. But to the one who is reading it might not think so. When reading "Working Together" by David Whyte and "Out Beyond Ideas" by Mewlana Halaluddin Rumi, I believe they both have differences but also similarities because they both are poems.

No comments:

Post a Comment