Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Lit Analysis: Bless Me Ultima

1. Briefly summarize the plot of the novel you read according to the elements of plot you've learned in past courses (exposition, inciting incident, etc.).  Explain how the narrative fulfills the author's purpose (based on your well-informed interpretation of same).

Bless Me Ultima takes place in Guadalupe, New Mexico, during World War 2. The main character Antonio Marez. His curandera Ultima tries to stop the madness between the daughters of Tenorio. Antonio struggles throughout the story when he witnesses the death of people. He wonders about his religion and questions his moral problems. He has to choose between two lifestyles: crazy and wild or calm and sane. Religion becomes and issue in this decision because Antonio tries to figure out who he is and what religion he chooses to follow, if any at all. 

2. Succinctly describe the theme of the novel. Avoid cliches.

The main theme of this novel is the loss of innocence. Antonio views things that make him lose his innocence several times. The first incident would be when Antonio witnesses the death of Lupito with Ultima. That was his first interaction with death and it stuck with him for a long time. 

3. Describe the author's tone. Include a minimum of three excerpts that illustrate your point(s).

The author's tone of the book is very serious, but curious because of quotes from the book like these: -"I could not lie. I knew he would find the lie in my eyes if I did. But maybe there were other gods? Why had the power God failed to cure my uncle?"-"You mean i can go out and sin,.....and when i'm about to die I just got to confession and take communion, and i go to heaven?"-"I had been afraid of the awful presence of the river, which was the soul of the river, but through her (Ultima) I learned that my spirit shared in the spirit of all things" 

4. Describe a minimum of ten literary elements/techniques you observed that strengthened your understanding of the author's purpose, the text's theme and/or your sense of the tone. For each, please include textual support to help illustrate the point for your readers. (Please include edition and page numbers for easy reference.)

-Symbolism: The golden carp mentioned in the novel was a perfect example of symbolism. It was said to appear to those who where believers and followed the church earnestly. However, it appeared to both Cico and Antonio, with Cico being a NON believer and Antonio, undecided.-Translational Dialogue: Many of the quotes have Spanish words or phrases. It is a bilingual book.-Narrator: "Sometimes I felt like Jason, like I wanted to shout and cry, but I never did."-Metaphor: "The sun was good. The men of the llano were men of the sun. The men of the farms along the river were men of the moon. But we were all children of the white sun."-Use of didactic: refers to literature of other types of art that are instructional or informative, in this case the bible when talking about God and religion.-Use of Nostalgia: written by narrator about events of his early youth-Imagery: I felt a sense of imagery within the characters as well, and it helped with my imagining of their character and their surroundings. -Implication: "He knows nothing; and he thinks he knows everything. That points clearly to a political career." 

CHARACTERIZATION 1. Describe two examples of direct characterization and two examples of indirect characterization.  Why does the author use both approaches, and to what end (i.e., what is your lasting impression of the character as a result)?

Direct Characterization: The author did a great job of directly describing characters with enough detail where I was able to imagine what the characters were like as people as I was reading.
Indirect Characterization: Antonio is a good example of a character that was indirectly described. He was described through actions, but in such a strong way that I felt like I knew him just as well as the other characters.

2. Does the author's syntax and/or diction change when s/he focuses on character?  How?  Example(s)?


I don't think the author's syntax or diction changes from person to person, some examples are:-"I'll be sorry! Chingada I will! I can be the worst cabron in the world, and when I'm ninety-nine I can be sorry for being such a culo!..."- "we can't build out lives on their dreams."


3. Is the protagonist static or dynamic?  Flat or round?  Explain.


I think the protagonist is dynamic and round because the character is described in detail about his relgious views and what he is specifically is battling. 


4. After reading the book did you come away feeling like you'd met a person or read a character?  Analyze one textual example that illustrates your reaction. 


After reading this book, I think we all have something we are battling. Antonio was battling his own fears and i think we all do that. 







No comments:

Post a Comment